Our school is situated on 3.4 hectares of land within the Brisbane Metropolitan area and has been delivering educational programmes for over 50 years. It has catered for the Holland Park West and surrounding community since 1960, offering unique, quality educational activities and experiences which have added greatly to the character of the school.

Marshall Road State School timeline

  • 1958 – Land was acquired for the school.
  • 1960 – School officially opened on 1st October.
  • 1963 – School motto established “Only the Best is Good Enough”.
  • 1966 – B Block completed with 2 additional classrooms.
  • 1967 – C Block completed.
  • 1969 – D Block constructed, swimming pool opens, 798 students enrolled.
  • 1973 – Freeway resumes 5340m2 of the oval. Many local houses resumed and families moved away. Construction of the new oval began.
  • 1974 - Holland Park West Kindergarten purchased to become the site for the new Pre-School.
  • 1976 – Library, AV room and music department moved to A Block.
  • 1980 – School flag designed.
  • 1982 - Cunningham House discontinued. Student enrolments declined.
  • 1986 - Lights fully installed in classrooms. House groups revised. Oxley and Hart discontinued. New houses: Toohey, Holland and Gibson.
  • 1988 - Hydroponics Project Club formed by the children. MRSS celebrate 200th day of 200th year by placing a time capsule.
  • 1994 - Permaculture area established.
  • 1999 – Swimming pool heated.
  • 2000 - Electronic bell installed.
  • 2001 – C Block fire.
  • 2004 - Pathway from Kurts St added and all children added a design to the border. New toilet block.
  • 2005 – Cricket net relocated to main oval and Lower Junior playground constructed.
  • 2006 – Air conditioning of D Block.
  • 2009 - Senior playground relocated and tennis court  P.A.C and Resource Centre opens.
  • 2010 - Refurbishment of B block begins. 50th anniversary.

School site

The school was built on land resumed by the Department of Education in 1958. Before then, it was a dairy farm owned by Mr Fraser until the late 1940s. The land was then sold to the Keir family in 1947 for the sum of 1,100 pounds who intended to subdivide it into building blocks. Mr Keir was offered 8,000 pounds for the land by a local real estate agent but refused the offer. The land was then resumed by the Department of Education in 1958 who paid only 4,500 pounds.

House names

The 3 sporting house names all have historical significance and are based on prominent local families.

Gibson - Yellow

Mr Charles Gibson, a soldier settler, transferred to the Mt Gravatt settlement. He initially grew pineapples but as the market was limited, he  turned to poultry farming. He also worked a government job as well. Mr Gibson’s grandchildren attended Marshall Road State School and since it was opened, he always supported the school.  For many years he presented the Gibson Cup for the most improved boy and girl in Year 7.  He was also instrumental in gaining support for the Holland Park High School and organised a petition to the Government as well as highlighting a suitable block of Crown land where Holland Park High School now stands.

Holland - Red

Holland was named after Julius Holland, born in 1844, a large landholder in Holland Park whose name was given to the district. Julius Holland was an astute local businessman and speculator who owned a large area of Holland Park scrub bordered by Abbotsleigh Street,  Arnold Street, Logan Road and Cavendish Road.  His landholdings included what is now known as Mott Park, previously called Holland Reserve since 1887.

Toohey - Blue

James Toohey was an important pioneer and one of the largest landowners in the local area.  He was born in Galway, Ireland in 1829. His family first arrived in Hobart, Australia in 1834. As a young man, Mr Toohey had some success in the California Gold Rush before returning to Australia. In 1853, he came to Queensland and established a successful blacksmith business at Kangaroo Point.  He invested heavily in local real estate including his own home, a huge cedar and pine house at Mt Galway on Logan Road Greenslopes. A dirt track led from his Greenslopes home to the mountain now bearing his name. He built a hut there and made regular weekend trips. Part of this track is now Toohey Road. At the time of James Toohey’s death in 1883, James Toohey was one of the largest landowners in Brisbane, with most of his land being south of the Brisbane River.

Source: Kenah, G and Millar, R. (2010) Marshall Road State School 50th Anniversary Book.

Last reviewed 28 March 2019
Last updated 28 March 2019